If you are 38 weeks pregnant then you have entered the final most stages in your pregnancy. As you can go into labor at any point, it is of immense importance that you prepare yourself according. A pregnancy by week guide can help you determine what necessities you need to undertake during the thirty eighth week of pregnancy. Since this is the time when everyone needs to be on their toes in order to avoid any mishap proper information regarding this week is necessary.
How is your baby developing when you are 38 weeks pregnant?
Your baby’s weight keeps on increasing until the week of delivery as more and more fat is deposited on him/her. The average size of your baby increases to be around nineteen and a half inches and the weight will be about seven pounds. Since your baby is getting heavier and heavier, movement for you will become more and more difficult. The baby has fully developed and matured by now. All the organs have developed and the baby is ready to come into the real life.
At this point though the color of your eyes has been determined, you cannot exactly tell what the color is at the time of the birth since it is bound to change color at least for the first nine months. Other baby development week by week involves growth of nails and hair as each day passes. You will feel that there is lesser movement inside your womb. This is because the baby has grown so much that there is no room in your uterus for it to move freely around.
Lastly the layer of vernix and lanugo will have completely disappeared by now, since there is amniotic fluid left and the baby has accumulated sufficient amount of fat and a matured immune system to protect itself. Be prepared for the baby is ready to come out anytime.
What is the mother to be experiencing when 38 weeks pregnant?
Since now the baby is fully developed and you could go into labor at any point in time. It is highly important that you take time to prepare yourself for the baby’s arrival. You can set up a nursery, buy all the required things that you might need for the baby. You can spend quality time with your husband since you are in for a tougher time. Since the baby will require all your time and attention you and your husband might not get alone time for quite a while, hence indulge in some intimate activity that doesn’t require travelling, since you do not want to be on the road or in an airplane when you go into labor.
A few pregnancy symptoms week by week suggest that women may turn anxious to deliver the baby, as they just want to get it over with. A few of the symptoms that might be felt include:
- Swelling of the hand, ankles and legs is inevitable in this week. Since you are carrying so much weight and are usually sitting around mostly, your legs and arms are bound to swell. Also you can meet aching legs during this period. However, get in touch with your doctor if your face or eyes begin to swell as that is not normal.
- The level of discomfort is bound to increase in the thirty eighth week of pregnancy. This is due to the fact that your baby is full-sized now due to which you would feel suffocated all the time as your baby takes up all the room.
- You might undergo digestive discomfort in this week as diarrhea and nausea persists.
- Contractions will be felt more severely now as the time of labor is approaching. You should be on the lookout of labor signs such as breaking water or bloody discharge from your vaginal area.
- Though the size of your stomach will remain the same till the end of your labor, you will feel the baby moving towards your pelvic area, which will relieve some of the pressure in your abdomen.
- If you feel severe headaches, abdominal pain, blurred vision, sudden weight gain, vomiting and puffed eyes, be sure to get in touch with your doctor immediately as you might be undergoing a condition known as preeclampsia. Such a condition is usually suffered by women from week thirty seven to the time of their delivery. You should know that the only way to get rid of the symptoms entirely is to deliver the baby.
What is the most important thing that you need to know in the thirty eight week of pregnancy?
Most women should know what breastfeeding is by now. Since the baby will need to be breastfed instantly. Breastfeeding is better than the baby since the mother’s milk helps the baby to stay healthy and provides him or her with sufficient anti-bodies to fight germs as well. So get in touch with your doctor immediately.