Ultra-useful ultrasound of fetus
The ultrasounds during pregnancy are used to:
- Verify the due date and correlate it with the size of the fetus;
- Determine the condition of the fetus when there is a greater than average risk of an abnormality or a greater than average concern;
- To rule out pregnancy by the seventh week if there has been a suspected false-positive pregnancy test;
- To determine the cause of bleeding or spotting in early pregnancy;
- To locate an Intrauterine device (IUD) was in place at the time of conception;
- To locate the fetus before amniocentesis and during CVS sampling test;
- To determine the condition of the fetus if no heartbeat has been detected by the 14th week with a Doppler device or if no fetal movement has occurred by the 22nd week;
- To diagnose the existence of multiple pregnancy, especially if the mother has taken fertility drugs or the uterus is larger than it should be for the expected due date;
- To determine if abnormally rapid uterine growth is being caused by excessive amniotic fluid and used as ectopic pregnancy ultrasound;
- To determine the condition of the placenta when deterioration might be responsible for fetal growth retardation and distress. You can use free online growth chart calculator and weight gain calculator to estimate fetal growth speed.
- To evaluate the condition of the fetus through observation of fetal activity, breathing movements, and amniotic fluid volume;
- To verify presentation and uncommon fetal or cord position before delivery.
Here is how it is usually done. The prenatal ultrasound technician puts an ultrasonic transducer that is place on the mother’s abdomen transmits high-frequency sound waves through the abdominal wall. These sound waves deflect off the fetus, bounce back to the transducer, and are transformed into a visual image on a monitoring screen.
Filling up with fluid
To prepare a mother for an abdominal ultrasound, have her drink 1 quarter (1L) of fluid for 1 to 2 hours before the test. Instruct her not to void before the test because a full bladder serves as a landmark to define other pelvic organs.
A Bladder-friendly version
The transvaginal ultrasound pregnancy of internal structures is another type of imaging/ it is well tolerated because it eliminates the need for a full bladder and is usually used during the first trimester of pregnancy.
Fetal Ultrasound is a most common type of screening test
There are so many ways on how to identify the gender of the baby. This includes the ultrasonography and it is considered as the most common type of screening test for gender detection. There are no special precautionary measures identified prior to the procedure except for full bladder status. It is best for us to inform the mother who considered this test as her first ultrasound during pregnancy. Our role is to inform them about the test, how it is done, and what the possible uses are. This way, we can provide them a clear picture of the entire examination as well as to alleviate their anxiety.
What are the risks of ultrasound?
According to the latest research investigations there are very rare cases reported that fetal activities can be affected by sound waves made through ultrasound screening tests. However, this could not totally complicate the developing fetus. There are no serious prenatal ultrasound risks that can harm the well-being of the fetus. The most common mistakes made by the ultrasound technician are the failure to provide safety precautionary measures for the mother. Since the mother is being put on the examination table, the health care provides must see to it that the mother is safe. By securing the sides of the table or providing a safety rails will prevent the mother from falling out of the table. This is very common to patients who do not achieve the maximum safety measures.
The final say
Due to the development of technology there are many highly sophisticated and more advance type of ultrasonography.
Before this screening test is only done in the hospital. Today, there are many clinics and private diagnostic centers are capable of providing this service to the people. There are 3D, 4D and now 5D ultrasounds that are available in the market. The higher the imaging feature, the higher the cost. However, the better the imaging feature, the clearer picture you can get from it. This way, you can identify the current health state of your baby and it can also help you achieve your curiosity with regards to the appearance of your unborn baby. It also helps you to identify different fetal abnormalities wherein as early as possible can also provide you an idea on how to manage the abnormalities. It is best for the pregnant mother to undergo ultrasound screening tests for their own benefits.