What are the main dangers of smoking?
Firstly the risks of smoking will be discussed. When you think about smoking during pregnancy, the smoking not only affects your baby’s health but it puts you at the mercy of many fatal diseases as well. A few of the health hazards of smoking that the father to be can suffer from includes:
- Cardiovascular diseases such as Cerebral Thrombosis, Coronary Thrombosis and increased blood pressure that can lead to kidney failure and low supply of blood to the brain that is a major reason behind dementia.
- Cancer that includes throat cancer, mouth cancer and lung cancer. There are other types of cancers that are seen most widely in smokers which include bladder cancer, pancreatic cancer, esophagus cancer, cervical cancer and kidney cancer.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary disease that can cause chronic bronchitis and emphysema (shortness of breath).
- Smoking can also lead to asthma.
- Infertility in both males and females.
- Macular degeneration which is the loss of eyesight.
- Increased danger of cataracts.
- Gum diseases that can lead to swollen gums and teeth falling off.
- Ulcer developments in the stomach.
- Smoking also lowers the level of Vitamin A in your body that can cause a paler looking skin and development of wrinkles at an early stage.
- In males smoking can cause erectile dysfunction which is the inability for a male to get an erection.
The risks of smoking on the unborn baby
Coming onto the dangers of smoking during pregnancy and its effects on the unborn child include the following:
- The baby would be born prematurely;
- The baby will be underweight;
- The baby might have smaller organs which can endanger his or her life;
- May die as a result of cot death;
- Have lung function impairment as the smoke damages the baby’s lungs as well;
- Such baby’s are usually ill when they are born, meaning that they might have to spend more time in the hospital.
- May be born with asthmatic bronchitis.
A few of the many benefits of quitting smoking
You can now imagine the effects of smoking especially during pregnancy and how dangerous they might be. So not only the mother but the father as well should quit smoking before thinking of conceiving since they not only are putting their life in danger but also the life of the baby as well. A few of the benefits of quitting smoking include the following:
- Better heart function;
- An increased sense of smell and taste;
- Less chances of becoming ill;
- Better smell from you and your clothes;
- The stains on your fingers and teeth will gradually go away;
- Your stamina will build up.
These are just a few of the benefits of quitting smoking. Think about all the diseases mentioned above that you can stay safe from. It is true that quitting smoking isn’t an easy procedure as it involves a great amount of self control and persistence and a person can break at any point. Some valuable quit smoking tips ask you to keep yourself busy as when you are trying to quit smoking, you will feel that you are in a consistently bad mood. You will have headaches, you will eat more and your weight will increase. Hence it is always better to have a partner with you when quitting smoking so you can share the experience together.
A few quit smoking tips
There are numerous ways of
how to quit smoking. If you wish to look for quit smoking tips then read below:
- You can go for nicotine replacement therapy;
- Ingest Champix that helps resist the urge to smoke;
- Zyban, another similar medicine;
- And finally persistence and a quitting smoking timeline.
You should seriously consider quitting smoking especially if there is baby on the way as you can stay safe from the effects of smoking, the dangers of smoking and the risks of smoking. It is wise to create a quit smoking timeline as the quitting smoking timeline will keep your morale high and provide a view of how strong you have been. Creating a quit smoking timeline has shown more persistence in those smokers than in those who haven’t created a quit smoking timeline.
Now that you have all the information that you require regarding how to quit smoking and the benefits of quitting smoking you should follow these quit smoking tips and think about quitting today. So start your quitting smoking timeline today and move towards a healthier life.