Breast feed as often as it possible
This is a good way of how to produce more breast milk. If you discover that, your supply is low, breastfeed the baby more often. Before switching the baby to the other side, make sure that, the baby is satisfied. Switching nursing, will help the baby to suck vigorously, for a long period of time.
Use a good quality pump
It will make a difference if you use a good quality pump. Thou, most of the manual hand pumps are not expensive, the best type of pump to use, is a double electric pump. Before purchasing the pump, it is prudent to compare the prices. You can also check with your health insurance plan, because most of them cover the cost. Once you purchase the pump use it when you are relaxed and comfortable. The suction should be at a comfortable setting, there are others pumps, which are equipped with adjustable suction.
Have a healthy diet plan
Having a nutritious and healthy diet plan, is a good way of increasing breast milk supply. When breastfeeding, do not go for a heavy diet plan. The body of a nursing mother requires enough calories and nutrients, to be able to produce more breast milk. It also requires calories, to provide energy for your body. It is advisable for nursing mothers to consume vegetables, meat, grains, beans and fruits. Nursing mothers should plan their meals after two hours so that, their stomach is not going to be empty for a long period of time. Do not fail to consume vitamins, because they play a very important role in increasing breast milk supply. They will give you all the nutrients that you will miss from your diet plan.
Trying using herbs to produce more breast milk
There is no scientific study which shows that, there are certain herbs that will make nursing mothers to increase breast milk supply. But, there are some nursing mothers and lactation consultants, who strongly believe that there are herbs, which will make your body to produce more milk. Before using any herbs, it is prudent to first consult your doctor. Other ways to increase milk supply milk include:
- Avoiding using bottles and pacifiers. All your baby sucking needs should be fulfilled at the breast. Incase a temporary supplement is needed, give it with a nursing dropper or spoon ;
- The baby should be given only breast milk. Things such as water and solids should not be allowed especially, if the baby is no more than six months old. If the baby is old, you will have to reduce using solids.
- Nursing mothers should take care of themselves. They should have enough rest and sleep. Drink water if you are thirty but do not force yourself to drink liquids.
- When feeding, it is good to undress the baby. Skin to skin contact helps in making the baby to be awake. You can remove your bra and wear a shirt, which is easy to unbutton. In order to avoid, your baby from being chilled, take a blanket and put it around the neck of the baby.
Factors which interfere with the production of more breast milk include:
- Wearing a bra that is very tight;
- Allergy medications;
- Sleeping on your stomach.
There are different ways to increase milk supply that nursing mothers can use. If the condition does not improve, read more information online about how to produce more breast milk. You can also ask friends or relatives, who have been in the same condition before on some of the tips of how to increase breast milk, this is one of the best and easier options.