This is very common to people who is affected with underlying condition such as infertility. It is also an advantage for gay couples who wanted to have their own child using the sperm of the recipient for fertilizing the ovum of surrogate mothers.
What is behind rising infertility rates?
Childless couples need to feel that they are not alone. Let them know that the number of couples dealing with infertility has doubled in recent years. Factors that may contribute to rising infertility rates include:
- Aging – more and more couples postpone childbearing until age 30 or older, allowing age and concomitant disease processes to affect fertility;
- Sexually transmitted diseases, which may be responsible for up to 20% of infertility cases;
- Intrauterine devices, which can cause pelvic inflammatory disease and consequent infertility;
- Environmental factors such as toxins;
- Complications of abortion or childbirth.
There is also a higher incidence of infertility in female who:
- Have irregular or absent periods;
- Experience pain during sexual intercourse;
- Have had ruptured appendices or other abdominal surgeries.
The egg donor may be used in in vitro fertilization instead of the woman’s ovum if the woman does not ovulate or if she carries a sex-linked disease that she does not want to pass on to her offspring.
In egg donation arrangement, the ova that are retrieved from well-screened and hormonally stimulated egg donors are fertilized in a petri dish by sperm donor. After an incubation period, the best embryo transfer is done to the recipient’s uterus. The rest may be frozen for possible use in a second transfer, if necessary or if the recipient desires a second child genetically related to the first. Ova donation is an emotional, expensive, and time-intensive experience. However, it offers a realistic, successful option for couples who otherwise have no way to have a child. Experience programs report clinical pregnancy rates of 50 percent per egg donation cycle. These success rates are better than pregnancy rates with IVF cycles using a woman’s own eggs. There are legit egg donor agencies which are available on the internet which provides services of gestational surrogate motherhood for potential clients.
Mert the candidates
Good candidates for egg donation include women who:
- Have never had a spontaneous menses;
- Stopped menstruating at an early age;
- Produced few or no eggs, or an elevated Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) level, in a previous in vitro fertilization (IVF) cycle;
- Who have stopped menstruating (usually in their 40s) or don’t respond well to the fertility drugs;
- Have an FSH level of 15 or more on day 3 of a Clomiphene Challenge Test. Research suggests these women won’t be successful with IVF using their own eggs.
- Have had multiple IVF cycles and failed to achieve a pregnancy.
In addition to the usual risks of IVF, approximately 15% to 20% of egg donation pregnancies result in miscarriage and 20% to 25% result in multiple births (such as twins, triplets or more).
Gamete Intrafallopian Transfer (GIFT)
In GIFT, the ovaries are stimulated with fertility drugs and the results are monitored. Next, ova are collected from the ovaries transvaginally by needle aspiration. They are placed in a catheter with sperm and then transferred into the fallopian tube, allowing fertilization and implantation to occur naturally from that point.
Embryo Donation or Surrogate Embryo Transfer
Embryo donation or surrogate embryo transfer can be used when the woman does not ovulate or if the woman has ovarian failure but a functional uterus. The husband’s sperm can be used to fertilize a donated ovum so that the embryo contains one-half of the couple’s gene pool. The fertilize oocyte is then placed in the woman’s uterus by ET or GIFT. Some couples see this option as an advantage over adoption because it allows them to experience pregnancy and they may have a shorter wait for a child.
Who are the recipient for gestational surrogacy?
This procedure is for intended parent who wanted to have a baby despite of their condition such as infertility. There are various advanced fertility center that caters qualified candidates to become a surrogate mother. The clients can make a mutual decision with regards to the ethical standards and moral concerns of this procedure. The surrogate mother must be aware of her role for bearing the child. When it comes to the gestational surrogacy cost, this will depend upon the agencies that offer this service. It is best for the clients to make a further research regarding this matter. They are suggested to ask their friends who have an idea about the gestational surrogate.