Getting pregnant is a very joyful for every couple, especially for those who are going to become parents first time. A pregnant woman may face several infections, but to develop a healthy future baby, she should overcome these infections as they may affect mother health and also baby health. There are many factors that can cause infections in a pregnant woman, it this article you will see that what kind of infections you can get throughout your pregnancy. Moreover, this article will tell you several important tips that you can adopt in order to prevent several infections during your pregnancy.
Infections during pregnancy
Here are some common infections that might appear in pregnant women:
This is a very common bacterial infection afflicting woman in and around their vaginas.
Rubella (also known as German measles) is an acute infection of virus that causes increased lymph nodes and mild rash. Rubella virus is the cause of rubella disease.
The Candidiasis is a type of yeast that is generally found in our skin, especially around openings like mouth, rectum, vagina (vaginal candidiasis), and the intestinal tract. At low levels, it is considered normal and there is nothing to worry about it.
Listeriosis or Listeria monocytogenes is a very dangerous infection for newborn infants, because this bacteria kills about 1 in 5 persons it infects. Raw milk needs at least pasteurization to prevent this infection.
There are almost 95 percent of women who are protected from this infection. Blood test is taken to check for this infection. Chickenpox could be dangerous for not only pregnant woman but also for her future baby. So it is better to go for treatment immediately.
You can catch toxoplasmosis by contacting with the cat faeces. You should take proper precautions if you are pregnant and you are also facing with Toxoplasmosis. There are several treatments available for this infection that you can adopt.
- Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Virus (LCM)
LCM causes severe infection in human body. It is a rodent borne disease that shows membrane inflammation and meningitis.
Ureaplasma is a very common bacterial infection affecting a high percentage of sexually active men and women. It is a sexually transmitted infection that is not given much importance because not many experience health problems because of this infection.
- Group B streptococcus
Group B streptococcus is a bacteria that carried by over 30 percent of people but it does not show any strep symptoms nor harm your body. In women, it is present in vagina and intestine and does not impact negatively on pregnant women.
- Papilloma virus
Women contacting HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) from their male partner during pregnancy may be worried about the safety of their unborn baby because of this virus. However, in most cases, this virus has been known to not affect the baby. HPV does not require any changes in the way a woman is cared for during her pregnancy.
Cytomegalovirus or CMV is a virus that originates from the herpes viruses group. It can cause the cold sores. This infection is risky during pregnancy and can create various problems for your future baby.
Steps to prevent infections during pregnancy
- This fact must be known to you that you may never know that you are suffering from an infection. Even you wonвЂ™t get any symptoms of the infection you are suffering from. If it comes to you somehow that you have some sort of infection during pregnancy, you must consult your doctor.
- Clean hands with soap and Luke warm water, make it punctuality.
Practicing this activity is important if you have done any of the following tasks like use of bathroom, you have touched raw meat, raw eggs, or unwashed vegetables, you are handling with pets, you have gotten saliva on your hands, changed a diaper or playing with children.
- Do not share your eating and drinking utensils with children. You may not be aware of the fact that a childвЂ™s saliva contains certain virus. That virus could be harmless to them, but could be infectious to you and the fetus.
- Avoid drinking raw milk, or any other type of food prepared with raw milk. Also, avoid eating soft cheeses as well, uses the label on them assure you that they are pasteurized.
- Do not change or touch any dirty cat litter. But if it is your duty to do so, then you must use gloves to do that, and after finishing, do not forget to wash your hands thoroughly. The reason of avoiding cat litter, is that, it contains parasites is that it can cause infection toxoplasmosis. And this infection can lead to your childвЂ™s blindness, later on in his life.
- Get help of a professional to get rid of mice and rats from you house. If you own a pet rodent, then hire someone else to take care of it during the period of your pregnancy.
- Drink a large amount of water on every day basis.
- Eat plenty of fresh foods for fertility, and use healthy preconception diet.
- Do not share your cutlery or food with others during your pregnancy period.
- Go to your physicians and ask for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) tests. If you already have and STD, consult your doctor to know how to reduce risks to your child.
- Get routine vaccinated. Discuss with your doctor to let him know about the vaccines that are recommended before you become pregnant, during the period of your pregnancy, or the time after you give birth to your child. The correct intake of vaccinations at a proper time can keep u healthy and fit, and can keep your baby from getting infection. Vaccination also prevents them from the health problems that may last them their whole life.
- Stay away from those who have an infection. Avoid those who have infections like chickenpox or rubella. And this is necessary for you to do so if you already do not have an infection by yourself, or have not been vaccinated before you got pregnant.
- Speak to your doctor about the issue of group B strep. You may not be aware f the fact that nearly 1 in 4 women carry this type of bacteria, and they do not have any symptoms for that even. It you have this bacteria, consult your doctor about the precautionary steps, that may keep your child, suffering from it.