Stay Tuned!

Chickenpox: Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment

Some vital information about common viral infection called chicken pox

Chickenpox: Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment Chicken pox is a very common viral infection that is associated with high fever and its trademark vesicular lesions. The infection is seen more often in tropical countries with hot and humid climatic conditions. Chicken pox can affect an individual at any age but it is seen to afflict small children more commonly. It is an infection that affects a person only once in a lifetime and thus a woman need not worry if she has had chicken pox before. There is a vaccine for chicken pox, and if a woman has been vaccinated for chicken pox earlier, she cannot catch the infection later in life. So a woman is immune to chicken pox and need not worry about her unborn baby when she is pregnant. In fact, almost 90% women are immune from chicken pox and hence need not worry about harmful effects on the baby. This article is about the rest 10% who are not immune to chicken pox and are fearful about the possible consequences if they catch chicken pox during their pregnancies.

No need to worry if you have been vaccinated earlier or have had the infection in your childhood If you are a woman who did not have chicken pox in your childhood, you must be curious about chicken pox symptoms. Most people catch the viral infection when they are in their childhood and face chicken pox symptoms that include high fever, rashes on the body, blisters full of watery substance, and so on. Chicken pox symptoms show up after 2 weeks after catching the virus. The virus is not fatal and the person afflicted with it gets cured with rest and medication. However, chicken pox is contagious and one can catch the infection by being in physical contact with the rashes of another infected person. Infected person can also spread chicken pox through sneezing and coughing.

Chicken pox and pregnancy can spell trouble for the new born

Chicken pox and pregnancy is a topic that remains current and relevant because of scores of pregnant women catching this viral infection every now and then. Vaccinated ladies have nothing to worry on this count as chicken pox antibodies in their bodies get transferred to the unborn baby through placenta and there are no complications whatsoever to the baby. Chicken pox vaccine is administered to every child in countries where cases of this infection are taking place. Chicken pox pregnancy exposure risk is particularly for women who do not get chicken pox vaccine.

Chicken pox diagnosis is done simply by observation of rashes and mild fever that accompanies this viral infection. Chicken pox diagnosis does not require kits or tests as any health care provider will easily identify the person afflicted with chicken pox. In fact, so ancient the infection has become that elderly people in households can do chicken pox diagnosis.

As far as chicken pox treatment is concerned, no strong antibiotics are required to cure a person. This is because the infection is caused by virus and not bacteria. In fact, the symptoms of the ailment go away in 2 weeks time with rest and medication that mainly includes applying anti itching crèmes. Chicken pox treatment includes frequent bathing with medicated soaps. Home remedies of chicken pox treatment included adding baking soda to bathing water to reduce itching and relieving chicken pox symptoms. Calamine lotions are typically prescribed by doctors to bring relief in the symptoms of itching and rashes in this viral infection.

Several problems that new born babies face with chicken pox during pregnancy

Chicken pox while pregnant does not necessarily need any undue alarm or concern as women catching chicken pox while pregnant have given births to babies who are normal and healthy. However, there have been cases where new born babies have been afflicted by congenital varicella syndrome. This is a syndrome that includes a number of birth defects such as seizures, blindness, bigger than normal head, somewhat paralyzed hands and legs, and problems with muscles and bones in hands and legs. However, these problems are found in a miniscule number of babies whose mothers catch chicken pox during pregnancy. A few of the kids born to mothers facing chicken pox while pregnant have faced learning problems that has been linked to chicken pox.

Not every woman who is pregnant and catches chicken pox has the same probability of facing health problems as complications have been found to increase if the woman is a smoker, has a lung condition, has been taking steroids, and has been pregnant for more than 20 weeks. This implies that if chicken pox is contracted at an earlier stage of frequency, chances of normal child are higher than when chicken pox occurs during 2nd and 3rd trimesters.