Tips to prevent varicose veinsUsually, after the first successful pregnancy most women might discover that there are varicose veins which appear on their legs. Sometimes, these disturbing veins also appear at the bottom of foot. It is associated with inflammation, itchiness, and pain.
The causes of varicose veins during pregnancy is due to the intensifying pressure of the uterus to the inferior vena cava (this is the largest vein that drains deoxygenated blood from the lower portion of the body. It also leads to massive load on the foot veins. An increasing blood volume that results into high blood pressure can also contribute to the formation of spider veins on legs.
Hereditary factor is also a contributor to what causes varicose veins. If you found out that your elders suffer from the same condition during their pregnancy period, you will have greater chance of having these manifestations as well.
Due to the activity of the pregnancy hormones the progesterone increases which weakens the wall of the veins. This can also contribute to varicose veins. Pregnant mother who are carrying twins also increases the pressure of the lower leg. It adds up to the workload of the veins in the feet that may have resistance with venous return of blood flow. This is what causes varicose veins for pregnant mother.
Varicose veins treatmentSeveral varicose veins treatment strategies can significantly improve the state of your foot veins. However, if the situation gets worst you will end up undergoing surgical procedure that can help you to remove these spider veins on legs. There are simple ways to help you prevent this condition. If you have existing varicose veins then this will be our recommendations:
- As much as possible you need to walk faster, this can speed up the circulation of the blood. It can also strengthen the foot veins and muscles. Avoid prolong sitting or standing. If you are standing, shift your body weight to each foot. This can reduce your blood pressure.
- Since straining causes pressure then avoid constipation. Eat foods which are rich in fiber. If you are constipated and tend to strain, your body will exert extra effort during elimination of waste product. This can promote the formation of varicose to your feet. The best way to prevent this condition is to identify what causes varicose veins and eliminate these factors including overweight to help you relieve from it. You can include eating foods such as baked potato, oats, legumes, barley, lentil, unpurified rice, peas, and various vegies and fruits. You can also try taking drinks which has natural probiotics. These substances promote proper bowel movement.
- Another varicose veins treatment involves modifying your activities. As much as possible, you need to elevate your feet when you are watching television or reading books. When sleeping, we recommend you to use extra pillows and put it under your feet. Make sure to raise your lower extremities above from the level of your heart. This can promote proper venous return and prevents varicose veins during pregnancy.
- Avoid crossing your legs. This can interfere with the blood flow from your legs. Rest on your left side. This can help you minimize the pressure of uterus to your inferior vena cava. Place a maternity pillow in your front and back. You need to place another pillow below your feet. This will prevent you from inverting to the right side. It also lessens the occurrence of varicose veins pain.
- You can use elastic stocking to tighten your swelling anklebones. After waking up in the morning, you need to wear these stockings while blood is not fully circulated to your feet. You can buy this type of stocking in the pharmacy. This helps you to adhere from varicose vein pain.
- Using natural topical creams and lotions, you can help yourself to treat varicose veins during pregnancy. These natural products are considered safe and effective for pregnant mothers. There are active ingredients in these products that could actually speeds up the circulation of the blood and at the same time provide calming effect. The calendula is very popular varicose veins treatment because it has regenerating components and anti-inflammatory effect.
- Exercises. Engage yourself with activities that increase the blood flow. You can also start brisk walking in the morning. It does not only help you to prevent spider veins on legs but it also improves your cardiovascular status.
- Massage is very helpful as well. You can use rosemary oil and massage the affected part. You can also try combining it with cypress oil and other essential oils to have soothing effect.
If these things do not work to your condition, then you can consider having varicose vein surgery. However, you can consider this option after the delivery of the baby. This is not a required operation since varicose can be healed through time with proper diet and healthy lifestyle.
IN CONCLUSIONThe Centerpregnancy.com is a trusted online resource and online community for modern moms and moms-to-be with dozens of practical tips, advices, videos and information on fertility, beauty, parenting, pregnancy, family, and more. However, it is strongly recommended to you to ask your doctor before taking any new supplement or medication suggested to you by our experts. Moreover, we will be very glad if you will inform us about any kind of inaccuracies published here.
Rating: 4.6/5 (852 Votes)